Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Seven Swans a Swimming...

So, originally when I thought I might craft up the seven swimming swans, I thought this might be a cute kids craft...  I remembered making these with a babysitter when I was young and my parents were at a work holiday party. Then I started making them, and let me just say... I think my babysitter was on crack. Oh well, it was more than twenty years ago, and maybe it would be OK for older kids. My five year old son was not interested. Little kids could wind up the pipe cleaners, and paint the pine cones.

So, gather up your supplies and your glue gun.. and your heat resistant fingers.


Then you begin by curling up about half of the pipe cleaner...


Then you curl the rest into an oval to fit on a pine cone.... 
But don't glue it on yet! First you will want to select the feathers for the tail, two to three will be lots. You can cut the longer ones down if you like. Then you glue those on.... Oh, and hot glue and feathers? This is why this is not a craft for children. Ones you actually like, anyhow. Ouch.


Then you attach the pipe cleaner... more hot glue and feathers... yay! *cry*


Then you are done!



Unless you want him to have a face... then you take a toothpick, color the end orange, cut it off and dip it in sticky lava hot glue and attach to the pipe cleaner. Cute!



That's it!

 Unless you want 6 more...






8 comments:

Anthrin said...

wouh, this is so cute and in away a very elegant swan. Can´T wait to make my own (...with burnt blisters an my fingers :o)

Love your blog, greeting from the snowy Nürnberg in Germany

Anja

Anonymous said...

I think they are really cute!

Amy K @ Chestnut Tree Lane said...

Germany! Welcome!! <3
Thank you for the compliments.

Jade! said...

Amy - these are gorgeous! I think I'll be whipping a couple of these up for my grandmother! Thanks for the tute.

Jade
www.mymessymermaid.blogspot.com

Amy K @ Chestnut Tree Lane said...

Thanks Jade - I just popped over to your blog for a visit thanks for the site link - Love it!

Wendy said...

These are great, Amy! And I love your commentary. You're hilarious <3

Solid Pine Furniture said...

Is the material use in the decoration are pine cones ?

Amy K @ Chestnut Tree Lane said...

Yes the body of the swan is made from a pre-painted pine cone I found at a craft store.